Monday, July 2, 2012

4th of July Treats: Rice Krispies

When I asked Randall what kind of dessert I should make for the 4th of July, I was pretty surprised by his answer. Out of all the cookies, cakes, pies, etc. that I can cook, he wanted...rice krispie treats. One of the simplest and easiest desserts you can make! I didn't understand until I bit into one after I was done. I had forgotten just how delicious this things were!

Of course, I needed to spruce them up with a little patriotic flare. I considered red, white, and blue layers made with food coloring, but I was worried the colors wouldn't come out vibrant.

Cute version from lilluna.com

Not so cute version from someone else

Instead of gambling with colors, I opted for some red, white, and blue sprinkles, and I think they look great! It's amazing how something so simple can turn an ordinary treat into a theme! I'm sure a lot of you already know how to make these, but below is the recipe I used with a little extra added ingredient.

What You'll Need
10 oz bag of Marshmallows
1/4 cup of Butter
6 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal
Sprinkles (optional)

And...

1 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Step 1
On a low heat, melt butter in a large sauce pan.

Step 2
Once the butter has melted, add marshmallows and stir to coat them with the butter. Allow them to melt down until mixture is smooth.

Step 3
In the meantime, grease a 9x13 pan, or line with wax paper. I prefer using wax paper because it prevents you from struggling to get that first piece out. Instead, all you have to do is lift and everything comes out easy for cutting.

Step 4
 Once the marshmallows have melted down, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.

Step 5
Immediately add your cereal and stir to coat evenly.

Step 6
 Scrape mixture into pan. Using a buttered spatula, smooth and press down until rice kripies are firm. Add sprinkles

I left half without sprinkles just for Randall!

Step 7
Allow to cool and cut into squares. 

Finished Product

Tomorrow I'll be making smores pops! Yum!

1 comment:

  1. *Dianna told Macon to use sprinkles instead of using funky dye bc she's full of great ideas.
    And what is wrong with Randall? He doesn't like sprinkles?


    What is wrong with him?

    ReplyDelete