Thursday, June 7, 2012

Recipe: Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Bars

Dinner last night would not have been complete without trying a new dessert creation. 

Last week, I had hoped to share how to make Brazo de Gitano (a classic Spanish dessert made from a rolled up sponge cake and a filling) but... it was a disaster. Sometimes I think there's nothing more disappointing than spending so much time and passion in the kitchen only to have your dish stick to the parchment paper it was baked on!

Thankfully, I redeemed myself with my first attempt at Gooey Butter Bars. Unlike my cupcakes (if you didn't know I have an teensy, little side business called Macon Bakin' Cupcakes), these are not made completely from scratch, but that just makes them all the easier to make.


What You'll Need:
1 box of Yellow Cake Mix
1 stick (4 oz) of Butter
3 eggs
8 oz Softened Cream Cheese
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
(Rooster only needed for moral support)

Step 1
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
(I greased my paper up with butter so I wouldn't have another freak mishap like last week!)

Step 2
 Melt butter in the microwave. Add cake mix, melted butter, and one egg, and mix until blended. Pat mixture evenly into the lined cake pan.

Step 3

 In a separate bowel, add the two remaining eggs, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Cream together until smooth.

Step 4
Pour second mixture on top of the cake base and spread evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

Step 5
Remove from oven and allow cake to cool. 
(I put mine in the freezer for a few minutes for easier cutting)

Finished Product

This is one luscious dessert! Randall was hesitant when I told him I was trying something new, but he ate his before I could even bring some milk. Between the Chicken Ranch Tacos and the Butter Cake Bars, he slipped into a food coma in less than hour.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good.. and easy.. I like that. I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete