Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Post Surgery Update 3

Between yesterday and today, I've finally found some relief from being cooped up in my apartment for a week. As I mentioned before, my sister in-law, Susan, and my brother, Brent, brought me some homemade dinner and dessert, as well as a visit from the ever adorable Conley. That little boy is the happiest kid I've ever seen! He was giggling with his daddy to entire time he was here!

Susan's Mexican Lasagna and Berry Trifle
The food was amazing! I had to stop Randall from eating all of the berry trifle.  Thanks again Susan and Brent!

Not only was it nice to have part of my family visit, it was wonderful to hear updates about my two newest nephews, Paxton and Lennox. Both boys are doing really well! Lennox has hit 3 pounds and has been able to remain off oxygen support. And his brother is getting there as well weighing at 2 pounds and 4 ounces and he's able to remain off oxygen for three days at a time. I'm so thankful they're growing bigger and stronger everyday. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers! (And check out their journey here!)

                                   Lennox                                          Paxton
These pics were also taken from their blog!



Fast forward to today, this morning I was able to spend time with my bookstore mom, Joanne (or Momma Jo as I like to call her!), and I also had a visit from an amazing coworker and friend, Jamie. I'll leave Joanne's visit for another post because I have a lot of breath taking pictures to share.

It was great to catch up with Jamie and hear all of the going ons in the store. A little bit about Jim Jam (nickname credited to Nicole I believe!): When I first started working at the bookstore, Jamie immediately made me feel accepted. It's hard to start a new job when you've worked at another store for four years, but he made me feel like I had been working there all along. He is one of the most kindhearted people that I know, and he is also the runner up as the master of amazing (and amazingly terrible) puns. I'm sorry Jamie, but 1st place goes to the queen, Katherine! Occasionally, you can catch Jamie doing stand up on Monday nights at the Poplar Lounge.

Jamie's Recovery Gifts: Salsa & Cheese Dip!
 Thanks Jim Jam! It was great!

Yes, more cheese dip! Everyone's feeding my addiction for Mexican food and cheese dip. I love it! But, even better than the food, Jamie brought me books that I missed out from the Rep Breakfast last week at work. Twice a year, all of the big name publishers send out reps to us in order to introduce the new seasons' upcoming books. Even though this meeting is really early in the morning, it's one of the coolest parts of my job because after their presentations, we get as many books as we can carry for FREE. And rivaling my love of cheese dip is my love for books.

Unfortunately, this year's spring/summer Rep Breakfast was set for the day after my surgery. But because I work with some of the sweetest coworkers in the world, a few of them picked out books just for me.

Jim Jam's Book Picks!

Here are the books I'm most excited about in this bunch:
Me, and Earl, and the Dying Girl 
By: Jesse Andrews
Release Date: Hit the shelves this past March.
Summary from GoodReads:  
Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics. Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel. Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives. And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.

My Thoughts:
I was told not to mistake this book to be a depressing novel. It's supposed to be funny and outrageous, with much less melodrama than the summary suggests. I've heard it's appreciated for its wacky characters, unique writing style, humorous situations, as well as its fresh approach at portraying cancer. 


 Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
By: Matthew Green
Release Date: Available August 2012
Summary From GoodReads:
Budo is Max's imaginary friend. But though only Max can see him, he is real. He and the other imaginary friends watch over their children until the day comes that the child stops imagining them. And then they're gone. Budo has lasted a lot longer than most imaginary friends - four years - because Max needs him more. His parents argue about sending him to a special school. But Max is perfectly happy if everything is just kept the way it is, and nothing out of the ordinary happens. Unfortunately, something out of the ordinary is going to happen - and then he'll need Budo more than ever...

My Thoughts: 
The whole premise behind this book is so original. It's a breath of fresh air from the vampire and dystopian novels that are being done over and over again. (Not to mention the strange fascination everyone seems to have with Fifty Shades of Grey...) So far, this book has received 4.25 stars on GoodReads out of 185 ratings, which is pretty impressive in my opinion. It's supposed to be funny, moving, and an interesting perspective through the eyes of a child, much like "Room."



And The Winner for Best Cover:
(Sometimes, you should choose a book by its cover)
The Uninvited Guests
By: Sadie Jones
Release Date: Look for it May 25th
Summary From GoodReads:
 One late spring evening in 1912, in the kitchens at Sterne, preparations begin for an elegant supper party in honor of Emerald Torrington's twentieth birthday. But only a few miles away, a dreadful accident propels a crowd of mysterious and not altogether savory survivors to seek shelter at the ramshackle manor—and the household is thrown into confusion and mischief. The cook toils over mock turtle soup and a chocolate cake covered with green sugar roses, which the hungry band of visitors is not invited to taste. But nothing, it seems, will go according to plan. As the passengers wearily search for rest, the house undergoes a strange transformation. One of their number (who is most definitely not a gentleman) makes it his business to join the birthday revels. Evening turns to stormy night, and a most unpleasant parlor game threatens to blow respectability to smithereens: Smudge Torrington, the wayward youngest daughter of the house, decides that this is the perfect moment for her Great Undertaking.

My Thoughts: 

Honestly, this is not a book I would normally read, but occasionally I like to try books based on their cover (Such as "The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady." Awesome cover, great book!) I know Downton Abbey is really big right now, and this is supposed to be a great mystery read for fans of the show.




Important Note:
I have not read any of these books yet, therefore I can't attest to their greatness like in one of my book reviews. I'm merely excited about what they're about, the recommendations from other booksellers, and what they've been compared to. I can't wait to read them, and I hope some of you other book lovers check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment