Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Flight Review


This review is coming a little late, having visited the magical place known as Flight in the middle of this past March. But the experience has been in embedded in my taste buds forever! I like to call this visit downtown my personal Food Network experience. I'd like to thank Becca and her wonderful family for inviting me to come along. For a food lover like myself, this was a once in a lifetime meal, and my wallet won't be able to afford this type of gourmet food for some time!

Flight is like no restaurant you have ever been to. Instead of choosing one appetizer, one salad, one entree, and one dessert per person, this lovely restaurant allows you to try three of each! You can either order a regular sized portion of one dish, or (and I would highly recommend) you can enjoy three smaller portions of various dishes. Make sense?

 Boutique Vineyards Flight Trio
 
We started our meal with a "flight" of wines. I'm not a very big drinker, especially when it comes to wine, but these three little glasses were heavenly. Each wine trio comes with a placement card (you can see this in the picture) that gives the name and description of each drink. Unfortunately, its been almost a month and a half since our visit so I can't recall which wines were included, but I do remember that the one on the left was divine.

Carpaccio Flight Appetizer
Shortly after we got our wine, we each received our very own appetizer.  Becca and I both ordered the Carpaccio trio, and it was one of the most amazing dishes I have ever had in my life. I would rather eat this all day over cheese dip. There I said it! From left to right you can see Beef Tenderloin, Seared Lamb Loin, and Tuna. Each piece is thinly sliced and lightly marinated with various oils and spices to create the most delicate, delicious bite food. In the upper right hand corner you'll see a small seaweed salad. I was hesitant about this one, but let me tell you that if all salads tasted as good as that, our country wouldn't have an obesity problem. In the serving spoon is a blue cheese ice cream. BLUE CHEESE ICE CREAM! Only on the Food Network have I ever even seen anything like that. Obviously, you don't want to stick the entire spoon in your mouth, but spread on the croustinis beneath the seared lamb loin with a little bit of the seaweed salad ontop...nothing short of BRILLIANT.

Baby Iceberg Salad
As I mentioned earlier, instead of ordering a "flight," you are always welcome to order just one dish. That's exactly I did for the salad course. There was no way I could eat three dishes of an appetizer, salad, entree, and a dessert! Instead, I opted for the Baby Iceberg Salad topped with a Maytag Blue Cheese, Apple Wood Smoked Bacon, and Grape Tomatoes. Again, perfection.

Mixed Entree Flight
Once you reach the entree course, you're open to even more choices. As well as being able to choose from one portion to three, you can also mix and match which of the three you'd like to eat. For example, I took one entree from the steak, feathered, and seafood flight to create my own experience. By the time our main dinner was served, I felt like a judge on Iron Chef America. From left to right: Boursin Stuffed Filet, Chicken & Waffles, and Seared Sea Scallop. The filet included Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and a Red Wine Bordelaise Sauce. It was melt in your mouth good! The Seared Sea Scallop rested on top of Black Bean Ginger Beurre Blanc and Basmati Rice. It was one of the best I've ever had.

My favorite was the Chicken and Waffles, which sounds like a strange dish in such an upscale restaurant. This is not your Ihop's chicken and waffle breakfast! Not even close! The dish was composed of a savory Truffled Potato Waffle beneath a succulent chicken breast topped with Mushroom Cream Sauce and Maple Bacon... Almost everyday since eating here, I have been begging Randall to get me a waffle maker so I can start perfecting a savory waffle.

Dessert Fondue Flight 
 
When we reached the decision to order a dessert, we were all stuffed. But Becca and I just couldn't resist sharing Flight's fondue. It included Chocolate Dipping Sauce, Sherry-Custard Sauce, and Caramel Dipping sauce to be enjoyed with strawberries, apples, angel food cake, gauffrette, cookies, gingerbread, rice crispy treats, and marshmallows. While it wasn't "dip you skewer into a pot fondue," it was delectable and I'm glad we didn't pass it up...even though I walked away feeling 5 pounds heavier.

I would highly recommend Flight to anyone looking to celebrate a special occasion. The environment is classy and inviting, and the staff is engaging and friendly (not to mention everyone working here looked like they could be a model). However, be prepared to spend some serious cash. While I'm giving it a $$$ for price, you can easily spend $75 a person depending on how much you get!

Thanks again to Becca and her wonderful parents! I still get a foodgasim just thinking about it!

Location: 39 South Main Memphis, TN
Hours:  Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Website:  http://www.flightmemphis.com/
Attire: Casual Elegant
Price: $$S (See the left side of my blog for pricing guide)
Alcohol: Yes
Suitable for Kids:No
***While walk ins are accepted, reservations are encouraged to ensure a table***



2 comments:

  1. Macon! I had no idea you had a blog! So glad I found it!

    Flight was amazing!

    nichollvincent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Flight twice on dates. Their salad flight was what I remember. There was a feta and watermelon salad at the time. But blue cheese ice cream? How did I miss out on that.

    ReplyDelete